Self-Certified Build over Agreement

Self-Certified Build over Agreement

Your architect, builder, water utility or sewer specialist can help you find sewer pipes that run under your property so you know what impact they will have on your plans. It is best to address this issue during the “Feasibility Study” part of your project to ensure that your plans will not need to be changed at a later date. This is especially important if your job requires a building permit, as changes to accommodate sewer pipes can mean resubmission of plans, costing you more time and money. Once you are ready to submit, there are two types of applications. The first is a self-certified construction agreement application, but Thames Water will only grant it if you can confirm that your plans pose a low risk to the pipes. It`s worth a try as it`s free. If you do not meet the requirements of the self-certified agreement, you will need to apply for an approved construction agreement that includes a fee to be paid to Thames Water. For this application, you need to know the diameter of your drains. The property search you`ve done (mentioned above) will tell you, or your builder can still tell you if you started on the spot and exposed the drains.

You`ll also need a layout plan, a cross-sectional floor plan, and existing and proposed floor plans. You submit this application online for around £299 or you can do it by post for £343. If your answers meet our needs, we will send you an agreement. If this is not the case, we will send you back to request an authorized construction contract for which you will have to pay. There is a discount for online payment. If we give you a self-certified construction contract, you can start working immediately, if described. Don`t worry, just fill in as many details of the app as possible, even if they are very simple. Your client or architect should be able to help you with this… In short, no. We can help you manage the complexity of build-over agreements so you don`t have to worry about the essentials.

Our expertise means we get it right the first time, which ultimately means lower costs and less time spent on resolving compliance issues. The approval of your water authority is a seal of approval that your work does not compromise the structural integrity of the sewer pipe and vice versa. It also shows that they are happy that once construction is complete, they will have proper access for the maintenance of their sewer. If the required permit is not obtained, the water authority has the right to remove all structures that block their access, and it is not responsible for any damage they may cause as a result. Although the water authority`s requirements vary, you may be able to apply for a self-certified building permit if: To find out whether or not you qualify for a self-certified agreement, complete the questionnaire on the Thames Water Build Over website (link above). or ask us! * There is also a legal fee for Class 3 sewer construction agreements, usually around £550 as part of your construction contract application, your water authority will review the public sewer to determine its condition before work begins, and they will do the same after completion. Whether this is done via CCTV or when entering the sewer probably depends on its diameter. Thames Water, for example, will use a camera for pipes from 160 mm to 375 mm in diameter, but can perform its checks by retracting into the duct if their diameter is greater than 375 mm. Different water companies also have slightly different processes for applying for a construction agreement. We regularly work with Thames Water, Southern Water and Anglian Water and are used to providing applications on behalf of our customers.

If you are building within three metres of a public sewer (a pipe that supplies more than one property), you will need to submit an application to Thames Water. How do you know if you have public pipes within 3 m of your property? You don`t have X-ray vision; How do you know what`s hiding under your garden furniture and flower beds? Well, there are a few options available to you to find out. If you have plenty of time, you can visit your community and see their canal maps. Alternatively, you can pay for an asset location search with Thames Water`s property search team to determine if your work is within 3 m of a public sewer. These fees can vary a bit, but for a typical Victorian terrace they are around £60. Another option is to wait until your builder has started working on site. Once the pipes are exposed, most contractors can tell you if you have a public or private sewer. It is worth noting that there is a part of the app that asks if you started on the spot. .

Comments are closed.